With the popularity of camera phones in recent years its very likely that anything you do on a night out with friends gets documented by someone else in either a photo or a video. Whilst your drunken dancing might be funny at the time and entertain all your friends it might not make you look like a good candidate for a job in the future (unless that job is a sloppy backup dancer).
If friends have uploaded the photos and tagged you in them it makes an interviewers life much easier when they search for your name to see what comes up.
The social sites don’t always make it obvious how to remove your tag from something so heres a how-to guide for Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
How to Untag yourself from a photo on Facebook
- Log into Facebook and visit your activity log (little triangle in the top right corner).
2. Select “photos”, then browse the results and check any media you want to untag yourself from.
3. Select “Report/Remove Tags”.
4.Select “I want the photo untagged” and then”Untag photos”.
How to untag yourself from an Instagram photo
Untagging yourself in Instagram is slightly more hassle as you need to be logged into the app on your phone or tablet, you cannot do it from their website.
- Open the app and go to your page by selecting the head and shoulders icon.
2. Select the clipboard in the top right.
3. This should bring up a page with all the photos you have been tagged in, Browse through them and tap on the one you would like to remove yourself from.
4.Select the 3 dots near the bottom of the photo.
5. Select “photo options” and then “Hide from profile”.
Note: This doesnt remove the tag from the picture but it does remove it from your profile so people will have a harder time searching for it.
How to remove tagged photo from twitter
Now that twitter is about more than just 140 characters you might find yourself tagged in a tweeted photo. Praise goes to the twitter devs for making this one of the easiest sites to untag yourself from
- Log into your twitter account and navigate to the photo you are tagged in.
- Select the 3 dots at the bottom of the photo and select “Remove my tag from photo”.
Note:This doesn’t remove the photo, it just removes your tag which makes it more difficult for people to find it associated with your account.